One of the standard preventive tools for achieving and maintaining dental health is teeth cleaning. While brushing and flossing at home can effectively reduce a patient’s risk of problems such as cavities and periodontal disease, the dental cleanings performed at the dental office is much more thorough and can remove dental plaque, tartar, and calculus off the teeth. There are many benefits of dental cleanings done regularly. These benefits include:
- A brighter smile. Patients who enjoy food and beverages that can stain the teeth may find that their smile is dull or discolored. However, when a dental cleaning is performed, it can brighten the smile by removing the extrinsic stains which can build up on natural tooth enamel.
- Reduction of bad breath. When you keep your teeth clean, you can reduce the risk of halitosis, or “bad breath.” Dental cleanings leave your mouth cleaner and fresher, affecting the smell of the breath.
- Prevention of cavities. Cavities can form holes in the natural tooth enamel that can burrow deep and cause an infection. When patients keep their teeth clean, they are taking preventive steps towards protecting their smiles from cavities.
- Prevention of tooth loss. Caring for your smile also ensures that your teeth will remain in the mouth as long as possible. Without cleaning the teeth, patients are putting themselves at risk for periodontal disease, which can cause the loss of gum tissues, bone, and even natural teeth.
- Improvement of overall health. There are continued studies that show the connection between a patient’s oral health and the health of their body. Bacteria that reside in the mouth can be carried through the bloodstream to other parts of the body, causing infection and inflammation. By keeping periodontal disease at bay, patients can avoid many of these associated health concerns.
Call Volterra Dental today!
Los Alamitos, CA patients seeking solutions for their smiles are welcome to call (562) 501-3188 to request a consultation visit with Dr. Richard Blackburn and his team at Volterra Dental. The office is located at 3532 Howard Avenue, Suite #200, and accepts new and current patients and families.
Back to Dental Cleanings Page